Q&A is a core network feature, the easiest way for participants to create content and share expertise. Here’s how to use it.
(Note that in order to utilise Q&A, you will need to be in a group with the 'Create question' and 'Create answer' abilities. If you want to check your groups’ abilities, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ask a question
Any signed-in user can ask a question. They start the process by clicking the Ask a Question button on the Q&A page, or using the link under the 'Create' tab at the top of the page.
They are then asked to write their question in the text box provided, and provide further details if they wish. They are advised to:
- Ask a specific question
- Be brief and to the point
- Stay focused on a single topic
The question can be no more than 400 characters in length but the person asking the question can expand on their question using an additional text box with an 800 character limit.
They click the Submit Question button, which automatically triggers an email to any user with question-answering permissions, typically:
Answer a question
The question now appears on the Unanswered Questions list on the Q&A page. The email contains the question and invites the recipient to answer it. They can do so by clicking on the link in the email or by visiting the Q&A page and clicking on the question they want to answer.
The person answering the question is asked to write their answer. They are advised to:
- Cover related experience
- Answer in detail
- Only answer the question if they have something positive and constructive to provide. They are advised not to relay personal / confidential information and to respect others' answers
They click the Submit Answer button, which automatically triggers an email to the user that asked the question, telling them that their question has been answered. All admins also receive this email.
The recipient clicks on the View Answer button, in the email (or visits the Q&A page) to view the answer in full on the community site. If they find the answer useful, they can upvote it to bring it to others’ attention.
Questions can be answered by more than one person. All questions and answers are visible to all community participants. And anyone can upvote an answer they consider useful.
- Make sure all questions get answered, ideally within a week of being asked
- If a question is sitting in the Unanswered Questions list, try messaging a few people that you think might be equipped to answer. This usually goes down well as you are demonstrating that you think they have valuable expertise to share. If you don’t have a suitable expert available to answer, try recruiting one! If the question is relevant to the network, it could be illustrating a gap in your network’s expertise
If a question is unsuitable for the network (but not offensive in any way), aim to answer it politely and point the person that asked it in the direction of information that might help them. Don’t leave the question unanswered
- Ask questions of your network yourself. Q&A is a great way to start vibrant network discussions and to seek feedback from and insight about your audience
Please feel free to reproduce this content on your own Zapnito site to help your users get the most from their community.
Any queries? Contact us at email@example.com or add a comment below.